Scientific Method Project
Write about the following topics:
· Carbon dioxide and Global warming
1. Using a google search, summarize in 2-3 sentences each of the first 5 sites/pages that are a result of your search.
2. Find 3 facts about your topic that can be found in each of these pages.
3. Who is responsible for each of these pages and what organization are they affiliated with?
4. What is the purpose of the site?
5. Is there any evidence for the scientific method in each of these pages? If so, where did the information come from. If there is evidence for the scientific method, do the articles push a certain viewpoint.
6. Assess the reliability of the information found in each of these pages.
1. Go to the Library website.
2. Enter the library’s E-search site. Link: http://utopia.ut.edu/biology/databases.htm
· Access Science
· Academic Search Complete
· Science Direct
4. Search your chosen topic.
5. For each of the first 5 pages that come up on each database determine who wrote the article and where they are affiliated with.
6. Try and summarize in 2-3 sentences what the purpose of each article is. It may contain scientific/medical words but it should be possible to get the jist of what the article is about.
7. Is there any evidence for the scientific method in each of these pages?
8. Assess the reliability of the information found in each of these pages.
1. Compare and contrast the results of the google search with the academic database search.
2. Under what circumstances might using each of the searches be useful even in your everyday life.
3. Which search type is going to give you more reliable information and why?