Genome, Transcriptome and Proteome.
For your primary post, please respond to (1) of the following three (3) topics with a post of at least 125 words addressing the issue. Also, please reply to at least one fellow student on any topic.
- . Watch the instructor’s video about “-omics”, in the Instructor Insights section.
- Describe four things you learned from the instructor’s video about ‘-omics’.
- (Note: If you choose this discussion topic, your answer be based on the material specifically covered in the video, rather than generic information on –omics from the internet. If you would rather research information from the internet, then choose discussion topic 3).
- . Watch the instructor’s video about the synthetic genome “Syn 3.0” in the Instructor Insights section. Subsequently, answer the following:
- (a) Explain how Syn 3.0 is different from naturally-occurring microorganisms.
- (b) What do you think we’ve learned, if anything, from Syn 3.0? Explain.
- (c) In your opinion, what are the inherent risks of this research, if any?
- . On the Internet, read one or more articles about how the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) ruled in the case of Association for Molecular Pathology versus Myriad Genetics. In your answer, give must credit your source(s). Your answer must address the following:
- (a) Why did the plaintiffs object to Myriad’s patent on the breast cancer-related genes (BRCA1 and BRCA2)?
- (b) How did SCOTUS rule [Note: the rulings of lower courts are of interest for our purposes. Please concentrate on SCOTUS’s ruling].
- (c) What is your view on the issue of whether we should allow human genes to be patented?