- Visit Life Maps
- Learn about mammalian development
- Research the development of a human organ/tissue on the
Participation in this activity will help you master module outcomes:
- Describe how different mammals accomplish developing into an organism that has the ability to produce viable offspring.
- Explain how genetic and environmental factors influence the development of mammals.
- Explain ethical dilemmas involved in utilizing mammals as developmental models.
There are three components to this activity.
- First you will read about mammal development and answer a set of questions (you are not required to turn these in).
- Second, you will explore the
- Third, you will summarize our current understanding of human organ or tissue development and explain possible therapeutics for diseases of the structure.
You are not required to turn in your answers to the mammalian development questions, but you are encouraged to be comfortable with the information because you may see this material on an upcoming quiz.
After completion of this assignment you will turn in a one (1) page summary of your current understanding of a human organ or tissue development.
After you read the material on mammalian development, there are ten (10) questions for you to answer.
- What is developmental path?
- Does a cell’s specific temporospatial localization within an organ or tissue always dictate its functional fate?
- What is a cell class?
- What is holoblastic cleavage?
- What is meroblastic cleavage?
- What is the first event of gastrulation?
- Describe the Wnt Pathway.
- Describe the SHH Pathway.
- Describe the Notch Pathway.
- Describe the BMB Pathway.
- Describe the FGF Pathway.
Now visit the . Chose an organ or tissue and explore in the tree. Summarize the research that has been conducted and what the therapeutic applications of the research are. Your summary should include:
- Which lineages does this structure arise from?
- What is the anatomical structure and functions?
- How many genes are expressed in the development of the structure?
- How many High Throughput Gene Expression Comparisons and Large Scale Dataset Samples have been collected on this structure?
- How many cells comprise the organ/tissue and/or its related developmental paths?
- What is one of the therapeutic procedures tested in animal models or humans?
- What animal models were used for this treatment?
- Is this therapy in clinical trials or approved for use?
- Your summary submission should be a well-organized one (1 ) page essay that explains, describes, analyzes and examines current understanding of the development of a human organ or tissue.