At the law firm you work for, one of the staff attorneys has been asked to present a lecture on the insanity defense. The title of the lecture is “Should the Insanity Defense Be Abolished?”
The attorney has asked you to research and prepare a PowerPoint on this topic.
Create a PowerPoint for the attorney to use in the lecture. It should contain 6–9 slides (not including the title slide and the reference list). Use the Speaker Notes to explain points in more detail. Ensure that the content of the slides is professional, clear, direct, and succinct.
While preparing the information for the presentation on the basis of your research, do include the following:
- How is the insanity defense used in criminal cases in your state?
- The legal definition of the insanity defense in your state.
- Should the burden of proof in insanity cases always rest with the prosecution? Explain.
- What are the pros and cons of abolishing the insanity defense?
- How can a balance be achieved between protecting the rights of the defendant and protecting the public? Consider modifying the insanity defense and treatment options.