Please help me with these problems…
20. What are the two key factors which determine whether an estuary is stratified, poorly mixed or well mixed?
21. Why are wetlands frequently found at the base of hills and between adjacent morainal deposits?
22. What determines the dissolved mineral content of the water in a wetland ecosystem?
23. Why is the diversity of estuaries relatively low, and why is that a good thing for many marine fishes?
24. How do coastal wetlands affect nutrients being brought to the sea by the world’s rivers? List three fates of nitrogen entering an estuary.
25. What nutrient is typically limiting (to photosynthesis) in continental rivers and lakes?
26. What nutrient is typically limiting in the coastal and upper open water of the ocean(s)?
27. Under what condition would an artesian water flow to the land surface result in a phreatic wetland (say a fen) and when would it result in a ground water stream? [hint: compare simple water balances]
28. What are the three sources of acidity that contribute to the acidic nature of ombrotrophic wetlands?
29. What is a mangel ecosystem and where would you find one?
30. Why do estuaries and lakes ultimately fill with organic carbon?
31. What tree species are characteristic of a phreatotrophic swamp? …an extremely ombrotrophic swamp?