- Choose “Library” from the top navigation bar.
- Choose “APA Citation Center” from the left navigation bar.
- Click “Example Sources.”
- Scroll down, and click “APA Documentation.”
For more information on citing your sources, please click on the “About this Course” link in the classroom.
Ms. Singh is a client of your firm. She was recently arrested for breach of peace during an altercation at a bar. Ms. Singh was the recipient of unwanted advances from another patron at the bar. Her boyfriend became jealous and punched the other man. Ms. Singh was arrested for breach of peace. She is very concerned about the possibility of a long prison sentence and capital punishment. Breach of peace is a misdemeanor.
The criminal attorney you work for asked you to complete the following:
- Research and explain the difference between a felony and misdemeanor, including the difference between a misdemeanor and felony conviction and the consequences.
- Write a memo explaining the differences between a misdemeanor and a felony and, in particular, addressing Ms. Singh’s concerns about prison and the death penalty if she is eventually convicted of the crime. Remember, Ms. Singh was arrested for breach of peace, and a breach of peace is a misdemeanor. An explanation of her charges should clear up her concerns.