– Please use the downloaded prompt for instractions, and the picture of the advertisment to analyze it.
– Please use those teacher’s notes to write the essay :
Jib Fowles – “The Needs” (Advertisements)
1- The need for sex – grab the attention of viewer
2- The need for affiliation – friendships, romance, etc.
3- The need to nurture – it can be maternal/paternal, comfort/protect
4- The need for guidance – role model, celebrities, tradition and nostalgia.
5- The need to aggress – the desire to act, “get even”.
6- The need to achieve – overcome, obstacles, #winning, superlative, best, greatest.
7- The need to dominate – a power in things we lack
8- The need for prominence – to be admired, respected, you see it in material goods.
9- The need for attention – cosmetics, to be noticed.
10- The need for autonomy – independence.
11- The need to escape – avoid reality, physical, mental.
12- The need to feel safe – security ( banks )
13- The need for aesthetic sensations – pleasing in a visual sense.
14- The need to satisfy curiosity – gain more knowledge.
15- The physiological needs – hunger, sleep.
- Rhetorical analysis :
- 1- creates/ distribute (company)
- 2- product ?
- 3- viewers ( target audience )
- 4- appeals / needs
- 5- visual effects : FACTS, such as : ( color, lighting, text position. )
Beer ad hints : in a clean, white color worker man, not looking at the server, watching football game
Focus on analysis not structure !!!