Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- For assistance with accessing SPSS, refer to the resources “How to Use SPSS From the GCU Server” and “How to Install SPSS on Your Computer.”
- Before beginning this assignment, be sure to view the tutorial videos provided as Topic Materials: (1) SPSS for Beginners 1 – Introduction; (2) SPSS for Beginners 2a: Frequency Counts; (3) SPSS for Beginners 2b: Descriptive Statistics and Z-scores; and (4) Graphing and Descriptive Stats in SPSS With Dr. Ami Gates.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Open SPSS and obtain an output (as in the tutorial videos) with the following results highlighted:
- Determine the statistics for each gender as follows: Frequency Counts, Mean, Standard Deviation, Minimum, and Maximum.
- Graphing and Descriptive Stats in SPSS: Create a bar graph with gender (axis X) and blood sugar (axis Y).
Use the following data set for this assignment:
- You have a group of patients observed with a diagnosis of Diabetes and their blood sugar levels are listed below based on gender. Men: 74, 71, 75, 248, 388, 505, 42, 21.
- Female: 62, 68, 61, 71, 68, 80, 390, 148.
Write a 250-500 word summary of your results and how this statistical analysis may be applied to your prospectus. Provide a bar graph with gender on the x-axis and blood sugar levels on the y-axis. Add your SPSS output as an Appendix to this summary.
SPSS is software used for statistical analysis. You will find this software on the DC Network. To access the SPSS program, follow these directions:
1. Access the DC Network at dc.gcu.edu
2. Enter the username and password used for accessing Loudcloud.
3. Click the Research/Dissertation tab.
4. On the left side of the page, you will see the heading, Research Resources. Click on the SPSS Statistical Analysis Software link.
5. Click the SPSS Server (access without download) link.
6. Click the SPSS Server Documentation_PC link.
7. Follow the directions given in this document.
© 2011. Grand Canyon University. All Rights Reserved.